Coins and Antiquities Consignment Shop
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Please call us if you have questions 252-646-1958. Thanks for your business! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We are happy to take your order over the phone. Please call if you have questions 252-646-1958. Thanks for your business!

Catalog Main Menu
Fine Coins Showcase

Antiquities Showcase
Recent Additions
Recent Price Reductions

Show empty categories
Shop Search
Shopping Cart
Contact Us
About Forum
Shopping at Forum
Our Guarantee
Payment Options
Shipping Options & Fees
Privacy & Security
Forum Staff
Selling Your Coins
Identifying Your Coin
FAQs
Home ▸ Catalog ▸ Greek Coins ▸ Geographic - All Periods ▸ Greece ▸ EuboiaView Options:  |  |  | 

Euboia, Greece

Euboia, separated from the mainland of Greece by the narrow Euripus channel, is the second largest Greek island, after Crete. It was an important source of grain and cattle. Euboia's two principal cities, Chalcis and Eretria, both were Ionian settlements from Attica. Their early importance is shown by their numerous colonies in Magna Graecia, Sicily, and Macedonia. In 490 B.C., Eretria was utterly ruined and its inhabitants transported to Persia. It was restored after the Battle of Marathon, but it never regained its former eminence. In 506 B.C., Athens defeated Chalcis, established 4,000 Attic settlers, and reduced the island to dependence. In 446 B.C., when Euboia endeavored to throw off the yoke, it was reduced by Pericles. In the north, the inhabitants of Histiaea were expelled and replaced by settlers. The Athenians recognized its importance, for supplying them with grain and cattle and, because of its proximity to the coast of Attica, for securing their commerce against piracy. In 410 B.C. the island regained its independence. After this Euboia took sides with other leading states, until, after the Battle of Chaeronea, it passed to Philip II of Macedon, and finally to Rome.Central Greece


Karystos, Euboia, 369 - 265 B.C.

Click for a larger photo
A Persian force landed at Carystus in 490 B.C. and quickly subdued its inhabitants. Soon after the Battle of Salamis, in 480 B.C., the Athenian fleet led by Themistocles extorted money from the city. When Athenians then asked Carystus to join the Delian League, the city refused. Athens would not accept a refusal, so they attacked and plundered Carystus, forcing the city to join the league.
GS74058. Silver hemidrachm, BCD Euboia 566; SNG Cop 420; Traité 151; BMC Central Greece p. 101, 10 var. (abbreviated ethnic), F, toned, marks, edge bumps, weight 1.836 g, maximum diameter 13.2 mm, die axis 0o, Karystos mint, 369 - 265 B.C.; obverse bearded head of Herakles right, wearing Nemean Lion scalp headdress tied at the neck; reverse palm tree, club left, KAP−YΣTI/ΩN across field; ex BCD Collection with his round tag noting "'Argos' Coll., through DGP, Feb 74, 4000 drs."; very rare; $180.00 (€160.20)
 


Histiaia, North Euboea, Greece, c. 267 - 146 B.C.

Click for a larger photo
Histiaia, named after its patron nymph, commanded a strategic position overlooking the narrows leading to the North Euboian Gulf. In the Iliad, Homer describes the surrounding plain as "rich in vines." It was pro-Macedonian during the 3rd century, for which it was attacked in 208 and captured in 199 by a Roman-Pergamene force. The Roman garrison was removed in 194. It appears Histiaia continued to prosper but little is known of its later history. Finds at the site indicate it continued to be inhabited in Roman, Byzantine, and later times.
GS85070. Silver tetrobol, BMC Central p. 129, 49; BCD Euboia -; SNG Cop -, VF, toned, marks and scratches, weight 2.129 g, maximum diameter 14.8 mm, die axis 270o, Histiaia (near Oreoi, Greece) mint, c. 267 - 146 B.C.; obverse head of nymph Histiaia right, wreathed in vine, hair rolled up; reverse IΣTIA,IEΩN (starting downward behind, ending below), nymph Histiaia seated right on stern of a galley left, holding stylis in left hand, side of galley ornamented with a wing, ornate apluster, MC monogram below right; $135.00 (€120.15)
 


Histiaia, North Euboea, Greece, c. 267 - 168 B.C.

Click for a larger photo
Histiaia, named after its patron nymph, commanded a strategic position overlooking the narrows leading to the North Euboian Gulf. In the Iliad, Homer describes the surrounding plain as "rich in vines." It was pro-Macedonian during the 3rd century, for which it was attacked in 208 and captured in 199 by a Roman-Pergamene force. The Roman garrison was removed in 194. It appears Histiaia continued to prosper but little is known of its later history. Finds at the site indicate it continued to be inhabited in Roman, Byzantine, and later times.
GS77221. Silver tetrobol, cf. BCD Euboia 417; SNG Cop 524; BMC Central p. 132, 98; SGCV I 2498, VF, centered on a tight flan, die wear, weight 1.809 g, maximum diameter 13.6 mm, die axis 315o, Histiaia (near Oreoi, Greece) mint, c. 267 - 168 B.C.; obverse head of nymph Histiaia right, wearing earring and necklace, hair rolled and wreathed in vine; reverse IΣTI−AIEΩN (starting below, ending downward upper left), nymph Histiaia seated right on stern of a galley holding naval standard, ornate apluster, wing ornament on hull; $120.00 (€106.80)
 


Chalkis, Euboia, Greece, c. 290 - 271 B.C.

Click for a larger photo
Khalkís, also Chalkis or Chalcis, is a city in eastern Greece, capital of the Aegean island department of Euboea (Évvoia), on the strait of Evripos near Athens. The ancient city, inhabited by Ionians, was an important commercial and industrial center. In the 8th and 7th centuries BC, Khalkís was a base for the establishment of colonies in Macedonia (there giving its name to the peninsula of Chalcidice) and in Sicily. It was successively thereafter an Athenian, a Macedonian, and a Roman possession.
GB67799. Bronze AE 14, BCD Euboia 183, Picard Emission 31, SNG Cop 443, SGCV I 2488, VF, some corrosion, weight 1.877 g, maximum diameter 14.0 mm, die axis 270o, Chalkis mint, c. 290 - 271 B.C.; obverse head of Hera facing slightly to right, wearing necklace and diadem decorated with discs and dangling ribbons; reverse eagle flying right, carrying snake in its talons and beak, star above, X−AΛ counterclockwise from lower left; $75.00 (€66.75)
 


Histiaia, Euboia, Greece, c. 4th - 3rd Century B.C.

Click for a larger photo
Histiaia, named after its patron nymph, commanded a strategic position overlooking the narrows leading to the North Euboian Gulf. In the Iliad, Homer describes the surrounding plain as "rich in vines." In the early 4th century B.C., Histiaia seems to have been largely under the control of Sparta until they joined the Second Athenian Confederacy in 376 - 375. The city appears to have become a member (for the first time) of the reconstituted league of Euboian cities in 340, but its allegiance during most of the 4th century seems to have vacillated between Athens and Macedonia.
GB79919. Bronze AE 12, BCD Euboia 455; BMC Central p. 125, 9; SNG Cop 537 var. (control), F, corrosion, pitting, weight 2.325 g, maximum diameter 12.2 mm, die axis 90o, Histiaia (near Oreoi, Greece) mint, c. 4th - 3rd century B.C.; obverse head of nymph Histiaia right, rolled hair, wearing wreath of ivy, pendant earring and necklace; reverse bull standing right, bunch of grapes (control symbol) above, IΣTI below; rare; $60.00 (€53.40)
 







CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES


REFERENCES

Babelon, E. Traité des Monnaies Grecques et Romaines. (Paris, 1901-1932).
Babelon, J. Catalogue de la collection de Luynes: monnaies greques, Bd. 4. (Paris, 1936).
Burnett, A., M. Amandry, et al. Roman Provincial Coinage. (London, 1992 - ).
Calciati, R. Pegasi II. (Mortara, 1990).
Forrer, L. Descriptive Catalogue of the Collection of Greek Coins formed by Sir Hermann Weber. (1922 - 1929).
Grose, S.W. Catalogue of the McClean Collection of Greek Coins, Fitzwilliam Museum, Vol. II: The Greek mainland, the Aegaean islands, Crete. (Cambridge, 1926).
Head, B. Catalog of the Greek Coins in the British Museum, Central Greece (Lorcris, Phocis, Boeotia, and Euboea). (London, 1884).
Kraay, C.M. Archaic and Classical Greek Coins. (London, 1976).
Mildenberg, L. & S. Hurter, eds. The Dewing Collection of Greek Coins. ACNAC 6. (New York, 1985).
Newell, E.T. The Coinage of Demetrius Poliorcetes. (London, 1927).
Numismatik Lanz. Münzen von Euboia: Sammlung BCD, Auction 111. (25 Nov 2002, München).
Picard, O. Chalcis et la Confédération Eubéenne. (Paris, 1979).
Price, M.J. & N. Waggoner. Archaic Greek Silver Coinage, The "Asyut" Hoard. (London, 1975).
Robinson, E.S.G. & G.K. Jenkins. A Catalogue of the Calouste Gulbenkian Collection of Greek Coins, Vol. II: Greece to East. (Lisboa, 1971-89).
Sear, D. Greek Coins and Their Values, Volume 1: Europe. (London, 1978).
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Denmark, The Royal Collection of Coins and Medals, Danish National Museum, Vol. 3: Greece: Thessaly to Aegean Islands. (West Milford, NJ, 1982).
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Deutschland, Münzsammlung Universität Tübingen, Part 3: Akarnanien-Bithynien. (Berlin, 1985).
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, France, Bibliothèque National, Collection Jean et Marie Delepierre. (Paris, 1983).
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, Greece 6, The Alpha Bank Numismatic Collection, From Thessaly to Euboea. (Athens, 2011).
Sylloge Nummorum Graecorum, USA, Burton Y. Berry Collection, Part 1: Macedonia to Attica. (New York, 1961).
Wallace, W.P. The Euboian League and its Coinage. ANSNNM 134 (1956).

Catalog current as of Thursday, May 25, 2017.
Page created in 0.936 seconds
Euboia, Greece