Athens, , , c. 140 - 175 A.D.
Minos demanded that, every ninth year, Athens send seven boys and seven girls to to be devoured by the , a half-man, half-bull monster that lived in the Labyrinth. , son of Aigeus, the of Athens, volunteered to take the place of one of the youths and slay the monster to stop this horror. Upon his arrival to , , Minos' daughter, fell in love with him and gave him a ball of to him find his way out of the Labyrinth. promised that if he escaped he would take her with him. Using the string to mark his path, he made his way to the heart of the Labyrinth, slew the , followed the string out, and then rescued the Athenian boys and girls. told to leave and Phaedra behind on the beach. Distressed by his broken heart, forgot to put up the white sails that were to signal his success. Upon seeing black sails, his father committed suicide, throwing himself off a cliff into the sea, causing this body of water to be named the Aegean.GB77873. Bronze , p. 105, 764; 341; , pl. 96, 1; 276, aF, corrosion, 7.132 g, maximum 23.7 mm, 180o, Athens mint, pseudo-autonomous under , c. 140 - 175 A.D.; helmeted of right, wearing crested Corinthian helmet; AΘHNAIΩN, right, preparing to slay the , nude, planting knee on the back of , raising club in his right hand, a horn of the in his left hand, the falling right on left knee; from the Butte College Foundation, ex (Antioch Associates); very ; $400.00 (€356.00)
Dyrrhachion, , , Roman Protectorate, 229 - 30 B.C.
ës, one of the oldest cities in Albania, was founded as Epidamnos in 627 B.C. by from Corinth and Corcyra. Located around a rocky harbor, surrounded by inland swamps and high cliffs, the city was difficult to attack from land or sea. After its defeat to in 229 B.C., the new rulers renamed the city Dyrrachium. Epidamnos is similar to the Latin damnum, meaning "loss." Dyrrhachion is Greek for "bad spine" or "difficult ridge," likely referring to the nearby cliffs. Dyrrachium prospered under and was made a naval and military base. Pompey made a stand there in 48 B.C. before fleeing south to . made the city a colony for veterans of his legions following the Battle of , proclaiming it a libera (free town).GS12075. Silver , 374; p. 73, 118; 433; -, VF, slightly off center, tiny edge cracks, 3.369 g, maximum 19.0 mm, 0o, Dyrrhachium ( ës, Albania) mint, 229 - 100 B.C.; ΠEPIΓENHΣ, cow right, turned back toward suckling calf left, of right above, grain over cluster of grapes right; ∆YP − ΦA−NIΣ−KOY, double stellate pattern within double linear square; ; $200.00 (€178.00)
Apollonia, , , c. 120 - 70 B.C.
Strabo, in about 17 A.D. wrote: "On the territory of the people of Apollonia in there is what is called a nymphaeum. It is a rock which emits fire. Below it are springs flowing with hot water and asphalt..." The Nymphaeum was likely a burning natural gas seep.GS83574. Silver , p. 59, 41 - 42; 398; p. 15, 120, VF, bumps, scratches, corrosion, small edge split, 3.05 g, maximum 17.34 mm, 90o, Apollonia mint, magistrates Aibatios & Chairenos, c. 120 - 70 B.C.; AIBATIOΣ, cow standing left, turned back right, suckling calf standing right, grain ear left in ; AΠOΛ − XAI−PH−NOΣ, the Nymphaeum of Apollonia ablaze, below, within double linear square with sides curved inward; very ; $180.00 (€160.20)
Achaean League, Pallantion, , Peloponnesos, , c. 88 - 30 B.C.
GS85328. Silver or , p. 86, 4; 124; 1593.2; 6507; 219; 290; 26; 1851; 969 (R1), aVF, 2.085 g, maximum 14.9 mm, 225o, Pallantion (near Tripoli, Arcadia, ) mint, c. 88 - 30 B.C.; laureate of Zeus left; large Achaian League (AX) , Π-A-Λ clockwise from left side, YE and trident upward below, all within laurel ; $140.00 (€124.60)
, , , c. 267 - 168 B.C.
, named after its nymph, commanded a strategic position overlooking the narrows leading to the Euboian Gulf. In the Iliad, Homer describes the surrounding plain as "rich in vines." It was pro-Macedonian during the 3rd century, for which it was attacked in 208 and captured in 199 by a Roman-Pergamene force. The Roman garrison was removed in 194. It appears continued to prosper but little is known of its later history. Finds at the site indicate it continued to be inhabited in Roman, , and later times.GS77221. Silver tetrobol, cf. 417; 524; p. 132, 98; 2498, VF, centered on a , die wear, 1.809 g, maximum 13.6 mm, 315o, (near Oreoi, ) mint, c. 267 - 168 B.C.; of nymph right, wearing earring and necklace, hair rolled and wreathed in vine; IΣTI−AIEΩN (starting below, ending downward upper left), nymph seated right on stern of a galley holding naval , ornate , wing ornament on hull; $120.00 (€106.80)
, Frankish , Principality of Achaea, Florent of Hainaut, 1289 - 1297
Florent of Hainaut was Prince of Achaea in right of his wife, Isabella of Villehardouin. He was the son of John I of Avesnes and Adelaide of . From his father he received the stadholdership of Zeeland. After he left Zeeland, he took up service with Charles II of Naples, who made him constable of the Kingdom of Naples. Florent settled with his wife in Morea. He negotiated the Treaty of Glarentsa with the in 1290; however, the situation for the Franks in was hopeless by this time. The fall of the Angevins in meant that they were preoccupied with recouping territory there and few Western governments would send troops to defend Morea. Florent thus made peace and maintained it until 1293, when the Greeks retook Kalamata. Florent did not despair and did not reopen the war which had been ongoing until his succession: he instead sent an embassy in protest to Andronikos II Palaiologos, and the emperor returned Kalamata. In 1296, the Greeks retook the castle of Saint George in Arcadia. Florent besieged the castle, but died before it could be taken. ME85302. , 13b; ; XII 18, VF, , die wear, 0.820 g, maximum 19.1 mm, 180o, Clarentza mint, 1289 - 1297; + FLORENS P Ach (ornament following , barred A), ; + DE CLARENCIA' (barred A's), castle tournois; old anonymous dealer or collector envelope priced $22.30 and notes, "Select hoard piece"; ex C. Subak (Chicago, Sep 1975); very ; $120.00 (€106.80)
Thessalian League, , Mid - Late 1st Century B.C.
The Thessalian League was a loose confederacy of city-states and tribes in the Thessalian valley in N. . of Macedon took control of in 344 B.C and it remained under until the Roman in 197 B.C. The league was reestablished in 196 B.C. but had little autonomy after became of the province of in 146 B.C.GB71024. Bronze (or ), 907.2, 331, 59, p. 62, -, VF, 7.412 g, maximum 19.8 mm, 0o, (?) mint, Philokrates, Italos, and Petraios, magistrates; ΦIΛOKPA−TOYΣ (magistrate), of right, wearing crested helmet and ; ΘEΣΣA−ΛΩN, Itonia standing left, standing left offering in her extended right hand, resting left hand on grounded behind, spear standing behind, ITA−ΛOY (magistrate) across upper , ΠETPAIOΣ ; $110.00 (€97.90)
Thespiai, Boiotia, , 146 - 27 B.C.
Thespiae stood on level ground commanded by the low range of hills which run eastward from the foot of Mount Helicon to Thebes, near modern Thespies. During the Hellenistic Period, Thespiae sought the friendship of the Roman Republic in the war against . It is subsequently mentioned by Strabo as a place of some size, and by Pliny as a free city within the Roman Empire, a reward for its support against Mithridates. Thespiae hosted an important group of Roman negotiatores until the refoundation of Corinth in 44 B.C.GB76252. Bronze AE 14, 611; p. 94, pl. VI, 13; p. 92, 14, pl. XVI, 12; 406 - 407; 1408 (S), VF, 3.511 g, maximum 14.3 mm, Thespiai mint, 146 - 27 B.C.; female (Arsinoe III) right, wearing and veil; , ΘEΣΠI/EΩN in two downward lines, starting on right, ending on left, all in laurel ; ex BCD with his tag noting, "Pz. nz. Th., Jan 86, 1000 drs."; ; $70.00 (€62.30)
, 13 September 81 - 18 September 96 A.D., Thessalian League
The Thessalian League was a loose confederacy of city-states and tribes in the Thessalian valley in N. . of Macedon took control of in 344 B.C and it remained under until the Roman in 197 B.C. The league was reestablished in 196 B.C. but had little autonomy after became of the province of in 146 B.C. BCD notes, "The League coinage for must have been quite abundantly struck. It circulated over a wide , and for a very long time, almost certainly until the reign of ."RP83541. Bronze diassarion, 277; 88; p. 167, 1 ff.; I 1407; 946; p. 7, 76; 339; 253, F, , marks and scratches, centration dimple on , 5.427 g, maximum 20.6 mm, 0o, Thessalian League mint, 1st emission, c. 13 Sep 81 - 83 A.D.; ∆OMITIANON KAIΣAPA ΘEΣΣAΛOI, laureate of right; ∆OMITIAN ΣEBAΣΣTHN, draped of Longina right, her hair in a long queue tied up at the back; $70.00 (€62.30)
Thespiai, Boiotia, , 146 - 27 B.C.
Thespiae stood on level ground commanded by the low range of hills which run eastward from the foot of Mount Helicon to Thebes, near modern Thespies. During the Hellenistic Period, Thespiae sought the friendship of the Roman Republic in the war against . It is subsequently mentioned by Strabo as a place of some size, and by Pliny as a free city within the Roman Empire, a reward for its support against Mithridates. Thespiae hosted an important group of Roman negotiatores until the refoundation of Corinth in 44 B.C.GB76253. Bronze AE 16, 611; p. 94, pl. VI, 13; p. 92, 14, pl. XVI, 12; 406 - 407; 1408 (S), F, green , earthen deposits, 4.046 g, maximum 15.9 mm, 90o, Thespiai mint, 146 - 27 B.C.; female (Arsinoe III) right, wearing and veil; , ΘEΣΠI/EΩN in two downward lines, starting on right, ending on left, all in laurel ; ex BCD with his tag noting, "Ex Ian Johnson, FPL, Vol. XI, no. 5, Sep 92, no. 4"; ; $65.00 (€57.85)
CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES
Page created in 1.451 seconds