, and , October 49 - 15 March 44 B.C.
This coin declares as for the second time, consul for the third time, and . The of refers to the grain producing wealth delivered to Rome by his in . The D (and on similar coins an M) indicates this was struck to be distributed as a donativum (largess) or munus (gift) to his legions. Some may have been distributed at Caesar's quadruple triumph celebrated in 46 B.C., when celebrations included public banquets, plays and gladiatorial games, lasting forty days. Vercingetorix was paraded and executed. Also in 46 B.C., made his nephew his heir. Queen VII of , Caesar's mistress, and Caesarion, his bastard son by her, moved into one of his residences on the . They would remain in Rome as Caesar's guests until his assassination on 15 March 44 B.C.SH84609. Silver , 467/1a, 1637, 1023, 4a; 57, 21, 1403, gVF, dark , some marks and scratches, slightly off center, 3.283 g, maximum 19.1 mm, 0o, African, (?) mint, 46 B.C.; - COS (counterclockwise from lower right, for the 2nd time, consul for the third time), of right, wreathed with grain; implements of the augurate and pontificate: (ladle), ( ), capis (jug), and (wand), ( ) above, below D (donativum = largess) to right, ( ) below; from the James Collection, purchased in 2004 from Numismatica (9A Via Barberini, Rome); $670.00 (€596.30)
Dionysopolis, Inferior, Late 3rd - 2nd Century B.C.
Dionysopolis was founded by Thracians and later colonized by who named it Krounoi. The city was renamed Dionysopolis during the second half of the 3rd century B.C., after a statue of Dionysus was found in the sea nearby. Most of the types from Dionysopolis are or . Today it is Balchik, Bulgaria, a Black Sea seaside resort town. IΦI is the only magistrate lists for this .SH75655. Bronze AE 17, Dionysopolis 5, 115 - 116, -, -, -, -, aVF, , weak center, 5.502 g, maximum 17.3 mm, 270o, Dionysopolis (Balchik, Bulgaria) mint, magistrate Iphia–, c. 3rd - 2nd century B.C.; of Demeter right wearing veil and crown made of city walls; ∆IONY / IΦIA, poppy on stalk on left, stalk of grain on right; very , unpublished until 1997; $250.00 (€222.50)
, , Italy, c. 300 - 250 B.C.
or was an important city of Magna , on a plain of extraordinary fertility on the Gulf of Tarentum, between the river Bradanus and the Casuentus (modern Basento). It was distant about 20 km from and 40 from Tarentum. The ruins of are located in the frazione of Metaponto, in the comune of Bernalda, in the Province of Matera, Basilicata region, Italy.SH70576. Bronze AE 14, 62, 574, 1261, 534, 55, 420, 232, 1698, -, gVF, nice , , 3.426 g, maximum 14.3 mm, 270o, mint, c. 300 - 250 B.C.; of Demeter right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley, wearing pendant earring; (upwards on left), of barley with leaf right, fly (bee?) on right flying right above leaf; $240.00 (€213.60)
Menaion, , c. 204 - 190 B.C.
In the foothills of the Hyblaei Mountains of , an indigenous settlement on a high peak under the name of Menai, flourished until 453 B.C. when its inhabitants were moved to nearby Paliké near the well-known sanctuary of the Palici. No traces of life survive from between the second half of the 5th c. B.C. and the end of the 4th c. B.C. The city, under the name of Menainon, began once more to flourish in the Hellenistic period, as attested by its rich necropolis. After the Roman conquest the city minted its own coinage. Its existence during the Roman period is attested by (Verr. 3.22.55; 3.43.102) and Pliny (HN 3.91). The site continued to be inhabited until the Arab Conquest and again during the following centuries.GI76345. Bronze trias, III p. 186, 7; 384; 617; p. 97, 5; 760 (R1); 290 var. (∆ vice IIII), VF, scratches, , 3.135 g, maximum 16.8 mm, 0o, Menaion (Mineo, , Italy) mint, Roman Rule, c. 204 - 190 B.C.; veiled of Demeter right; MENAINΩN, crossed torches, IIII (mark of value) below; ; $220.00 (€195.80)
, 209 - c. 26 December 211 A.D., Anchialus,
When the was abolished in 45 A.D., Anchialos (Pomorie, Bulgaria today) became of the Roman province of . It was formally proclaimed a city under . Anchialos thrived in the 2nd and 3rd centuries serving as the most important import and export station of and acquired the appearance of a Roman city under the Dynasty.RP68711. Bronze 4 assaria, 464 (R5), 555, -, -, -, aVF, glossy green , 14.534 g, maximum 30.7 mm, 45o, Anchialus (Pomorie, Bulgaria) mint, 209 - 212 A.D.; AY K Π CEΠ ΓETAC, laureate, draped, and right, from behind; OYΛΠIANΩN AΓ-C-IAΛEΩN, Demeter standing left, reaching with right toward coiled around large torch before her, small torch cradled in her left, two small pellets over ∆ in center ; ; $215.00 (€191.35)
, , Italy, c. 300 - 250 B.C.
or was an important city of Magna , on a plain of extraordinary fertility on the Gulf of Tarentum, between the river Bradanus and the Casuentus (modern Basento). It was distant about 20 km from and 40 from Tarentum. The ruins of are located in the frazione of Metaponto, in the comune of Bernalda, in the Province of Matera, Basilicata region, Italy.GI76341. Bronze AE 14, 59b, 421, 56, 1695, -, -, -, gVF, , , 3.014 g, maximum 13.8 mm, 270o, mint, c. 300 - 250 B.C.; of Demeter right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley, wearing pendant earring; of barley with leaf left, downward on right; ; $200.00 (€178.00)
Katane, , Roman Rule, c. 212 - 50 B.C.
As observed by Strabo the location of Katane at the foot of Mount Etna on the east coast of was both a source of benefits and of evils. On the one hand, the violent outbursts of the from time to time desolated great parts of the city's territory. On the other, the volcanic ashes produced fertile soil, especially suitable for the growth of vines. ( . vi. p. 269.).GI76962. Bronze as, cf. III p. 101, 14; p. 54, 91; 206; 558; 470; 1303; 619 (S), gF, , left side weak, 12.263 g, maximum 24.9 mm, 315o, Katane (Catania, , Italy) mint, c. 212 - 50 B.C.; of , wearing , two left, one right; KATA-ΩN-IAN (clockwise from upper right), Demeter standing half left, stalks of grain in extended right hand, long torch vertical behind in left hand; ; $180.00 (€160.20)
, , 3rd - 1st Century B.C.
Unpublished in the references examined and the only example of the known to .
(Karabiga, Turkey today) is located on the Mysian coast, on a small east-facing bay at the mouth of the River, about a third of the distance from ancient to Cyzicus. Strabo mentions that the produced wine and that the god Priapus gave the town its ancient name. Thucydides mentions the town as a naval station. In 334 B.C., the town surrendered to Alexander the Great without contest, prior to the Battle of Granicus. Deities worshiped there included Demeter, , , and Dionysus. Under the Eastern Roman Empire, the town was known as Pegae and was the site of a fortress.GB83634. Bronze AE 13, cf. p. 177, 14 (AE20, full 2 lines, ); 2500 (same); 2410 (similar); -; -; -, VF, green , corrosion, 2.400 g, maximum 13.4 mm, 0o, (Karabiga, Turkey) mint, 3rd - 1st century B.C.; of Demeter right, veiled and wreathed with grain; ΠPIA within grain ; extremely ; $180.00 (€160.20)
Akrai, , c. 211 - 80 B.C.
Akrai was a small colony founded by in 664 B.C. to secure the inland road to Gela. Constructed on the peak of a , Akrai was difficult to attack and ideal for watching the surrounding territory. Loyal to , it nevertheless had administrative and military autonomy. Thanks to its strategic position, the city achieved great prosperity, peaking during the reign of Hieron II, 275 - 215 B.C. Its coinage was only issued after the fall of in 211 B.C. when it became of the Roman province Acre. The city continued to be under Roman rule into the period.GI79952. Bronze AE 23, 02; 9; III p. 37, 1 var. (KP ); p. 2, 1 var. (same); 180 (S) var. (same); -, aF, glossy lime-green , scratches, , 7.517 g, maximum 22.8 mm, 0o, Akrai (Palazzolo Acreide, , Italy) mint, c. 210 - 80 B.C.; of right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley; AK-P-AIΩN, Demeter standing left, wearing long and , torch in right hand, in left hand; ; $160.00 (€142.40)
Leontini, , c. 207 - 200 B.C.
Leontini was founded by from Naxos in 729 B.C. Six miles inland, it is the only Greek settlement in not located on the coast, Originally held by the Sicels, the site was seized by the Greeks to gain control of the fertile plain to the .
When the Roman general Marcellus stormed the city in 214 B.C., Leontini was subject to and the rulers of actually resided there. Marcellus had 2000 Roman deserters who were hiding in the city killed, and then moved to lay siege to itself.GB65520. Bronze AE 16, p. 81, 9; 274; p. 93, 66; 366, VF, 4.170 g, maximum 16.1 mm, 180o, Leontini mint, c. 207 - 200 B.C.; veiled of Demeter left, plow behind; ΛEON, bundle of grain; $135.00 (€120.15)
CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES
Page created in 1.404 seconds