, , Italy, c. 300 - 250 B.C.
or was an important city of Magna , on a plain of extraordinary fertility on the Gulf of Tarentum, between the river Bradanus and the Casuentus (modern Basento). It was distant about 20 km from and 40 from Tarentum. The ruins of are located in the frazione of Metaponto, in the comune of Bernalda, in the Province of Matera, Basilicata region, Italy.SH70576. Bronze AE 14, 62, 574, 1261, 534, 55, 420, 232, 1698, -, gVF, nice , , 3.426 g, maximum 14.3 mm, 270o, mint, c. 300 - 250 B.C.; of Demeter right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley, wearing pendant earring; (upwards on left), of barley with leaf right, fly (bee?) on right flying right above leaf; $240.00 (€213.60)
Dionysopolis, Inferior, Late 3rd - 2nd Century B.C.
Dionysopolis was founded by Thracians and later colonized by who named it Krounoi. The city was renamed Dionysopolis during the second half of the 3rd century B.C., after a statue of Dionysus was found in the sea nearby. Most of the types from Dionysopolis are or . Today it is Balchik, Bulgaria, a Black Sea seaside resort town. IΦI is the only magistrate lists for this .
SH75655. Bronze AE 17, Dionysopolis 5, 115 - 116, -, -, -, -, aVF, , weak center, 5.502 g, maximum 17.3 mm, 270o, Dionysopolis (Balchik, Bulgaria) mint, magistrate Iphia–, c. 3rd - 2nd century B.C.; of Demeter right wearing veil and crown made of city walls; ∆IONY / IΦIA, poppy on stalk on left, stalk of grain on right; very , unpublished until 1997; $225.00 (€200.25)
Ziz (Panormos), Punic , c. 336 - 330 B.C.
Panormos was the ancient Greek name (meaning, 'All-haven') for present day Palermo. Palermo was, however, originally a Phoenician colony and numismatists identify the city before Greek rule with the Punic name Ziz. It seems the only evidence for this ancient name is the coinage and some scholars believe that Ziz may have been another city.GI76350. Bronze AE 12, I, p. 272, 10; 1061 (R1); 5, III, pl. 44, 1362; -; -; -, gVF, dark green , light , light marks and corrosion, small edge split, 1/5 off-center, 1.975 g, maximum 12.2 mm, 0o, Ziz (Palermo, , Italy) mint, c. 336 - 330 B.C.; horse galloping right, barley-kernel above, linear ; forepart of a right, Punic above: ZIZ; all within a deep round ; ; $225.00 (€200.25)
, , Italy, c. 300 - 250 B.C.
or was an important city of Magna , on a plain of extraordinary fertility on the Gulf of Tarentum, between the river Bradanus and the Casuentus (modern Basento). It was distant about 20 km from and 40 from Tarentum. The ruins of are located in the frazione of Metaponto, in the comune of Bernalda, in the Province of Matera, Basilicata region, Italy.GI76341. Bronze AE 14, 59b, 421, 56, 1695, -, -, -, gVF, , , 3.014 g, maximum 13.8 mm, 270o, mint, c. 300 - 250 B.C.; of Demeter right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley, wearing pendant earring; of barley with leaf left, downward on right; ; $180.00 (€160.20)
Iol-Caesarea, , , c. 25 B.C. - 24 A.D.
Phoenicians from founded Iol as a trading station around 400 B.C. It became a of the kingdom of under , c. 160 - 104 B.C. In 29 B.C., Roman emperor made the Numidian and his wife II (daughter of Marc Antony and of ) and queen of . The capital was established at Iol, which was renamed Caesarea in of the emperor.GB85358. Bronze 1/4 Unit, MAA 147; III, p. 177, 290 (uncertain mint); 684 var. ( left), F, dark green , , light corrosion, 2.102 g, maximum 15.4 mm, 270o, Iol-Caesarea (Cherchell, Algeria) mint, c. 25 B.C. - 24 A.D.; of left, wearing vulture crown and horned solar-disk headdress; three ears of barley; extremely ; $180.00 (€160.20)
, March or April 177 - 31 December 192 A.D.
The elaborate composition reflects the special care took in supplying the much needed African grain to (in fear of mob uprisings).RS84978. Silver , 95, 17, 144, 647, 5627, -, VF, nice portrait, , die wear, edge cracks, 3.212 g, maximum 18.4 mm, 180o, mint, 184 - 185 A.D.; ANT AVG , laureate right; IMP VII P P, standing left, statuette of holding and in Annona's right hand, in her left hand, overflowing with grain at feet on left, two persons on prow at feet on right, ANN in ; $150.00 (€133.50)
Thessalian League, , , c. 146 - 27 B.C.
The Thessalian League was a loose confederacy of city-states and tribes in the Thessalian valley in N. . of Macedon took control of in 344 B.C and it remained under until the Roman in 197 B.C. The league was reestablished in 196 B.C. but had little autonomy after became of the province of in 146 B.C.GB77000. Bronze , 904.1 (same die), 49 var. (length and orientation of magistrate names), 326 var. (same), gVF, and struck, some corrosion, small edge cut, 6.348 g, maximum 17.7 mm, 0o, magistrates Pherekrates and Isagoras; helmeted of right, ΦEPEKPA/THΣ in two lines above and below, IAΣΓO left; horse trotting right, grain ear right, ΘEΣ/ΣAΛΛΩ−N in two line above and below; $145.00 (€129.05)
Akrai, , c. 211 - 80 B.C.
Akrai was a small colony founded by in 664 B.C. to secure the inland road to Gela. Constructed on the peak of a , Akrai was difficult to attack and ideal for watching the surrounding territory. Loyal to , it nevertheless had administrative and military autonomy. Thanks to its strategic position, the city achieved great prosperity, peaking during the reign of Hieron II, 275 - 215 B.C. Its coinage was only issued after the fall of in 211 B.C. when it became of the Roman province Acre. The city continued to be under Roman rule into the period.GI79952. Bronze AE 23, 02; 9; III p. 37, 1 var. (KP ); p. 2, 1 var. (same); 180 (S) var. (same); -, aF, glossy lime-green , scratches, , 7.517 g, maximum 22.8 mm, 0o, Akrai (Palazzolo Acreide, , Italy) mint, c. 210 - 80 B.C.; of right, hair rolled and wreathed with barley; AK-P-AIΩN, Demeter standing left, wearing long and , torch in right hand, in left hand; ; $140.00 (€124.60)
Tamouda, , 1st Century B.C.
Tamuda (Tamusia) was founded by Berbers in the 3rd century B.C. There was likely a Phoenician presence in the next century, mainly for commerce. occupied Tamuda during the reign of . Around 42 A.D., it was leveled by Roman garrisons during an insurrection. It was replaced with a fortified settlement, later a Roman castrum, and grew to be a major city of Tingitana. Industry included fish salting and purple dye production. The region became fully Romanized, Christian and "pacified." By the time the arrived in the fifth century the city had disappeared from history and may have already been abandoned.GB84542. Bronze AE 16, cf. 587 ( ), 719 (same), 242 (neo-Punic TMDT behind ), 6653 (same), F/VF, rough, dark green , 2.454 g, maximum 15.7 mm, 0o, Tamouda (near Tetouan, Morocco) mint, 2nd - 1st century B.C.; bearded right; two heads of grain, meander symbol and pellet between them; ex-RBW Collection; ; $140.00 (€124.60)
, August 138 - 7 March 161 A.D.
A is a wand entwined at one end by two serpents, each of whose bodies folds again in the form of two half-circles, whilst the passes above the wand. It was an attribute peculiar to Mercury. Prudence is generally supposed to be represented by these two serpents, and the wings which are sometimes added to the , are the of diligence, both needful qualities in the pursuit of trade and commerce, which Mercury patronized. It was also the symbol of peace and concord, which that deity is related to have received from in return for the .RS84672. Silver , 136, 344, 530, 139, 166, 4078, VF, nice portrait, flow lines, edge cracks, porous, 3.163 g, maximum 17.7 mm, 180o, mint, 145 - 161 A.D.; ANTONINVS AVG P P, laureate right; , clasped holding stalks of grain and ; $140.00 (€124.60)
CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES
Page created in 1.809 seconds