|Home ▸ Catalog ▸ Greek Coins ▸ Geographic - All Periods ▸ Anatolia ▸ Phrygia ▸ HierapolisView Options: | | | |
Ancient Greek Coins of Hierapolis
Hierapolis (Greek: "Holy City") was located on hot springs in Phrygia in southwestern Anatolia. Its ruins are adjacent to modern Pamukkale in Turkey and are designated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The hot springs have been used as a spa since the 2nd century B.C., with many patrons retiring or dying there. The large necropolis is filled with sarcophagi.
|AnCitharoedus is a statue or image of with a ( ). Among the best-known examples is the Citharoedus of the Museums, a 2nd-century A.D. colossal marble statue by an unknown Roman sculptor. is shown crowned with laurel and wearing the long, flowing robe of the Ionic bard. The statue was found in 1774, with seven of the Muses, in the ruins of Gaius Cassius Longinus' villa near Tivoli, Italy. The sculptures are preserved in the Hall of the Muses, in the Museo Pio-Clementino of the Museums.|