Syracuse, Sicily, Hieron II, 275 - 215 B.C., Portrait of Queen Philistis
Hieron II placed his wife and son on coins during his long reign. Those of Queen Philistis are eagerly sought after by collectors.SH84601. Silver 5 litrae, CCO Syracuse 221 (D2/R2), SNG ANS 893, SNG Lloyd 1546, SNG Cop 827, Dewing 959, McClean 2918, Weber 1708, HGC 2 1557 (R2) (all from the same dies), Choice aEF/gVF, toned, light marks, weight 4.441 g, maximum diameter 18.0 mm, die axis 180o, Syracuse mint, c. 218 - 215 B.C.; obverse veiled and diademed head of Queen Philistis left, palm frond behind; reverse Nike galloping biga left, holding reins with both hands, Eē in front of horses' legs, BAΣIΛIΣΣAΣ above, ΦIΛIΣTI∆OΣ exergue; from the Lawrence Woolslayer Collection; Numismatica Ars Classica auction 27 (12 May 2004), lot 129; ex A.D.M. Collection; ex Ratto Collection, 1929 sale, lot 213; rare;
$3000.00 SALE PRICE $2700.00 Romano-British Empire, Carausius, Mid 286 - Spring or Early Summer 293 A.D.
Pax, regarded by the ancients as a goddess, was worshiped not only at Rome but also at Athens. Her altar could not be stained with blood. Claudius began the construction of a magnificent temple to her honor, which Vespasian finished, in the Via Sacra. The attributes of Peace are the hasta pura, the olive branch, the cornucopia, and often the caduceus. Sometimes she is represented setting fire to a pile of arms.
RA77916. Billon antoninianus, Webb Carausius 128; RIC V, part 2, 101; Hunter IV 36; SRCV IV 13639A; Cohen VII 193;, F, well centered, corrosion, encrustation, weight 3.719 g, maximum diameter 25.2 mm, Londinium (London, England) mint, c. 289 - 290 A.D.; obverse IMP CARAVSIVS P F AVG, radiate, draped, and cuirassed bust right, from the front; reverse PAX AVG (the peace of the Emperor), Pax standing slightly left, head left, raising olive branch in right hand, long scepter vertical behind in left hand, F - O flanking at sides, ML in exergue; from the Butte College Foundation, ex Lindgren, ex Alex G. Malloy sale XLV (19 Mar 1997), lot 650, ex K.F. Jacob Collection; scarce;
$125.00 SALE PRICE $113.00 Hadrian, 11 August 117 - 10 July 138 A.D., Caesarea, Cappadocia
Kayseri, Turkey was originally named Mazaca. It was renamed Eusebia by Ariarathes V Eusebes, King of Cappadocia, 163 - 130 B.C. The last king of Cappadocia, King Archelaus, renamed it "Caesarea in Cappadocia" to honor Caesar Augustus upon his death in 14 A.D. Muslim Arabs slightly modified the name into Kaisariyah, which became Kayseri when the Seljuk Turks took control, c. 1080 A.D.RS84088. Silver hemidrachm, Metcalf Conspectus 86b; Sydenham Caesarea 256; BMC Galatia p. 62, 142; SNGvA 6412; SNG Cop 223 var. (no cuirass, drapery far shoulder), VF, well centered on a tight flan, old-collection toning, weight 1.660 g, maximum diameter 13.8 mm, die axis 0o, Cappadocia, Caesarea mint, 120 - 121 A.D.; obverse AYTO KAIC TPAI A∆PIANOC CEBACT, laureate bust right, slight drapery on far shoulder; reverse Victory advancing right, wreath in extended right, palm frond over shoulder in left, ET ∆ (year 4) in right field; ex Dr. J. Hirsch, MŁnchen, with his old dealer ticket, c. 1910(?);
$90.00 SALE PRICE $81.00 Thebes, Boiotia, c. 315 - 288 B.C.
The largest city in Boeotia, Thebes was leader of the Boeotian confederacy. A rival of Athens, Thebes sided with Persia during Xerxes' invasion in 480 B.C. Thebes ended Sparta's power of at the Battle of Leuctra in 371. The Sacred Band of Thebes famously fell to Philip II at Chaeronea in 338. Thebes was the dominant city-state in Greece prior to its destruction by Alexander in 335 B.C.GB76311. Bronze AE 13, BCD Boiotia 582; Head Boeotia p. 81, pl. V, 15; BMC Central p. 87, 203, pl XVI, 1; SNG Cop 373, SNG Alpha Bank -; SNG Christomanos -, aVF, weight 1.580 g, maximum diameter 12.7 mm, Thebes mint, Macedonian hegemony, c. 315 - 288 B.C.; obverse head of Herakles right, clad in Nemean Lion scalp headdress tied at neck; reverse filleted thyrsos left above, ΘHBAIΩN across center, club left below; ex BCD Collection with his round tag noting, "Bought at Baldwin's, Dec. 1970, for £1.-";
$50.00 SALE PRICE $45.00 Thespiai, Boiotia, Greece, 146 - 27 B.C.
Thespiae stood on level ground commanded by the low range of hills which run eastward from the foot of Mount Helicon to Thebes, near modern Thespies. During the Hellenistic Period, Thespiae sought the friendship of the Roman Republic in the war against Mithridates VI. It is subsequently mentioned by Strabo as a place of some size, and by Pliny as a free city within the Roman Empire, a reward for its support against Mithridates. Thespiae hosted an important group of Roman negotiatores until the refoundation of Corinth in 44 B.C.GB76256. Bronze AE 15, BCD Boiotia 611; Head Boeotia p. 94, pl. VI, 13; BMC Central p. 92, 14, pl. XVI, 12; SNG Cop 406 - 407; HGC 4 1408 (S), F, corrosion, weight 3.951 g, maximum diameter 15.0 mm, die axis 0o, Thespiai mint, 146 - 27 B.C.; obverse female (Arsinoe III) head right, wearing kalathos and veil; reverse chelys, ΘEΣΠI/EΩN in two downward lines, starting on right, ending on left, all in laurel wreath; ex BCD with his tag noting, "Ex Leu (ex old collection) Oct. 96, SFr. 5."; ex Bruder Egger, Vienna (with his tag); scarce;
$45.00 SALE PRICE $40.50
CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES
Catalog current as of Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
Page created in 1.139 seconds